Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 7

We finish the first week as we enter the doldrums proper.

Really not much to report today. Last night we jibed onto starboard pole, just tiny bit rustily and we had another night with no stars, or moon. Driving was complicated as we've been on port pole for so long... we've forgotten how to turn right. (Too bad we didn't have Zoolander aboard.)

About an hour before dawn, we started getting some clearing and could see a few stars and the waning cresent moon made a brief and welcome appearance.

We are seeing diminishing winds as we skirt north of the ITCZ looking for a gap to break through. We spent the day driving, trimming the spinniker, taking showers, and repairing a worn spinniker halyard.

WARNING: EXTREMELY HILLARIOUS JOKE FOLLOWS (assuming read below 12N latitude)
We all had a good laugh as Jim read the label on the all purpose soap we had brought. Apparently, it is the "Dial (for men) Hairy Body wash". Specially designed for sasquatches, but strong enough for women. Produced at the finest refineries, for the manliest men. Of course, the directions entail "Rinse, lather and poof".. so we remain skeptical.

Well, tune in tomorrow folks... I'm sure you're as excited as I am to know how we do traversing though the ITCZ.

Data

2 comments:

Eric Purser said...

Capt. Spook
I've been following the blog since you left. While you were dipshitting downwind towards paradise, I was baking in 110 degree Phoenix, an area not known to flying fish and flying squid. Worth it, though, to hang out with my offspring. It was a fun trip, even when I bruised my ribs in the go-kart crash.
Good luck in the doldrums. I'm trying to call some wind for ya, though I won't be able to come down and personally talk into your sails. All the best to you, Jill, and the hearty lads that sail with ya'....
Eric

Unknown said...

Hey, that's "my shirt" Chuck's wearing. Ben and I did those about 15 years ago. Really cool to see one being used in an appropriate context.
Dave P