Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 3

We finish up the third day of racing with the spinnaker pole going back in about 20 kts of wind. The swell is beginning to lengthen and come from behind... so surf is up! (Ban na na na Na nah.. ba na na na na. (Hawaii 50 theme)).

All is well aboard Fortaleza. Yesterday saw the inauguration of showers! The afternoon watch all made the trip to the fresh water sun shower on the stern. I was ready for the bucket of sea water, never had it so good. Dinner was a big hit, with Joyce's Black Bean casserole.

The night watch was another beaut. First half with no moon, and a full sky of stars. You could see Jupiter reflected off the water. Much more bioluminescence in the water. When Fortaleza hits about 11 kts and crashes into a wave, it sends of a wall of slightly glowing foam and within it small explosions of bright green blue light, looking like an episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Sea life update: Tuna jumping along side the boat, and I was hit in the face with a squid. Unfortunately, Jill threw it overboard before she realized I was serious when I called it for breakfast. Oh well, she did make me a mean bowl of oatmeal.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck to you and I'll be sailing with you from my armchair...that's about all I can do these days with my fat, pregnant self. I'm looking forward to lightening the load July 29th...or sooner. Wish I could be out there with you.
SAIL FAST!!!
Lashawna

sarahc said...

Cheers to sustained winds! Waiting on pins and needles in Maine.

art2622 said...

Sounds like your're having a great time. Tell Al he's got work to do when he gets back.
p3u216h

Eric said...

Awesome racing! So exiting to watch from here. How are the shifts working out? Eric

dennish said...

Squid for breakfast...hmmm. Enjoying the posts and wishing I were meeting you at the finish line.